Youth Services Coordinator
The Buena Vista Public Library seeks a library professional to serve as our Youth Services Coordinator. The role requires a dynamic, progressive, inclusive self-starter to continue building on our youth department’s strong foundation and patronage. We seek a candidate who believes libraries are more than books, that children make noise while they learn, and that libraries are instrumental in early literacy and development.
Scope of the Position:
The Youth Services Coordinator leads the Library’s services to youth and families. The Coordinator acts as the liaison to Northern Chaffee County’s public, private and home schools as well as to community youth organizations including the Boys and Girls Club and Early Literacy Council. The Coordinator curates and develops the youth collection of books, audiobooks, movies, and digital resources. The Coordinator leads the Library’s youth programming lineup, including a Summer Reading program.
The Coordinator works cooperatively with the leadership team, collection and acquisitions lead, and marketing and communications lead. He/she cooperates with the Executive Director to develop or revise policy, plan the annual budget, and maintain the building, equipment and grounds as they pertain to youth services. He or she builds partnerships with community agencies and businesses to promote the mission and use of the Library.
About the Buena Vista Youth Library:
The Youth Library offers children hands-on activities for exploration and discovery, as well as provides a rich collection of materials for checkout, including games. Programs are offered almost daily to connect families to each other as well as to early literacy strategies. In the dedicated youth space, children and parents interact in reading and play areas. A teen collection and resources await the organization and promotion of a motivated leader.
Additional Info & Requirements
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide return on investment services to the taxpayers within the Library District and its guests;
- Facilitate free and equal access to information for all; uphold the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and patron privacy rights.
- Assist the Director in planning, developing and implementing priorities identified in the Strategic Plan.
- Keep current in public library trends, services, policies and best practices for youth services and collections.
- Recruit, train, and assign tasks to volunteers to assist with youth programming and collection tasks.
- Plan, design, and implement enriching programming for youth, both regularly occurring and special occurrences.
- Collaborate with Public Service Manager to identify staff to assist and lead youth programming.
- Enforce the library’s policies and procedures, while safeguarding confidential and restricted information.
- Uphold excellence in customer service standards.
- Provide for diversity and inclusion in collection materials and services.
- Conduct outreach to broaden awareness of library services in the community.
- Track program attendance, circulation, and other data to guide decision making and to identify service needs. Prepare monthly reports and contribute to the annual State Library Report.
- Assist the Director in preparation of budget recommendations for youth service needs and special purchases.
- Identify and recommend services and products for the Library.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with community and library organizations and agencies, library vendors and representatives.
- Complete special assignments related to youth services as directed.
- Contribute to Marketing and Communication promotions and regular communications to patrons.
- Serve on consortium and other committees as assigned by Director.
- Uses data and strategic plan priorities to sets goals.
This employee has the following professional knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Written and oral communication and presentation skills to address a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to use and manage the library’s automated circulation system to provide efficient and effective service to patrons.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service in person, on the telephone, and via e-mail and other forms of electronic communication.
- Skills in organization, planning, problem solving and decision-making.
- Technology skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, library apps, and online interfaces.
- Ability to develop and implement long- and short-range plans.
- Ability to effectively multitask while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to deal calmly and effectively with a wide range of individuals, in some instances under stressful or emergency conditions.
• Schedule may include evenings and weekend hours as needed.
The Buena Vista Public Library (Northern Chaffee County Library District) serves the residents and guests of the Town of Buena Vista and the northern portion of Chaffee County, nestled in the Arkansas River Valley, surrounded by picturesque mountains and rock formations. The total service area of 8,000 residents relies on the library as a hub for gathering, entertainment, resources and programming.
Apply by sending an introductory letter, resume, and references to Cecilia LaFrance, firstname.lastname@example.org, or PO Box 2019, Buena Vista CO 81211