The Buena Vista Public Library (BVPL) welcomes the use of its meeting room for meetings, lectures and other gatherings. The goal of this policy is to provide wide access to our meeting room on a first-come, first-served basis to as many citizens as possible. The room is available on a reserved-only basis by government agencies, non-profit organizations, and groups engaged in educational, civic, cultural, intellectual, and charitable activities.
The meeting room is available to all citizens of Chaffee County on equal terms regardless of opinion or affiliation. Permission granted to meet in a library meeting room in no way constitutes endorsement by the BVPL of the policies or beliefs of any group or organization. Neither claim to that effect nor claim to Library sponsorship may be used, explicitly or implicitly, in advertising. Neither the name or address of the Library may be used as the official address or headquarters of an organization or group using the Library’s meeting room.
The meeting room is available for commercial purposes, but a fee will be charged. Such commercial use includes but is not limited to bazaars, special benefit sales, and programs designed to promote the purchase of products or services.
The Library’s Director or other designee will review all requests for the meeting room’s use and determine eligibility prior to granting approval. In the event that a question may arise as to the eligibility of any organization, group, or individual requesting the use of the meeting room, the Library Director will be consulted, and if necessary, the Director will consult with the Library Board. Any appeal for exception to this policy must be made in writing to the Library Director.
Meeting Room Availability
1. Reservations for the meeting room will be scheduled in order of request. Space will be assigned on the basis of availability and size of the requesting group. A reservation application must be made in advance of the event. First priority in scheduling is reserved for Library purposes.
2. Meetings will be held only during normal business hours of the Library. No after hours access to the meeting room is available at this time.
3. A group may be granted subsequent use of the meeting room with completion of an application form on file. The agreement contained in the application form will be binding upon the reserving group for any subsequent meeting room reservation(s). Only one meeting may be scheduled at a time. The Library reserves the right to limit the frequency of use of the room by any group in order to accommodate the requests for meeting room space from other groups. It is not the intent of the Library to provide permanent or continuous meeting space.
4. Meeting room use may be terminated at any time if the conduct of the group, or member of that group, is disruptive to library services, abusive or dangerous to the building, library materials, exhibits, furnishings, or individuals in the building.
5. No fee will be charged for non-profit organization events that are free and open to the public. A fee will be charged for groups or individuals using the room for commercial purposes.
$25.00/per half day (4 hours or less)
$50.00/full day (more than 4 hours)
Basic Rules of Use
1. Occupants may not exceed stated occupancy for the meeting room.
2. No admission fees may be charged by groups using the meeting room.
3. Meetings may not extend beyond Library closing.
4. No smoking is allowed in the conference room.
5. No organization or group using the meeting room will discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or handicapped status in the provision of service. This room is ADA compliant.
6. Animals, with the exception of assistance animals, may not be brought into the BVPL facility unless they are part of a library-sponsored program. The Library is not responsible for items or equipment left in library buildings before, during, or after an event.
The BVPL should not be listed as a co-sponsor of any event without prior approval. Any promotional material should be submitted to BVPL’s Director for review prior to distribution. It is the responsibility of the group using the meeting room to obtain final confirmation/approval of room use prior to issuing invitations and press releases. The Library’s telephone number should not be listed in promotional literature.
Meeting Room Set-up and Equipment Use
1. Set-up and special arrangements are the responsibility of the user. No special room set-ups will be provided by the Library. Library staff is not available to assist in bringing in or taking out materials which will be used in the meeting room.
2. No tacks, nails or adhesive tape are to be placed in or on doors, walls, or furniture.
3. Lighted candles or flames, because of fire hazard, are not to be used within the meeting room. All paper and decorations used must be flame proof.
1. Refreshments may be served in the meeting room. A small kitchen is available for use in serving coffee, tea or light refreshments. Light refreshments consist of bakery items, drinks such as coffee, tea, soda, water, and juice, and box lunches. No hot food or buffet setup is allowed. All equipment needed for refreshments is the responsibility of the user.
2. Alcoholic beverages of any kind may not be dispensed or consumed on the Library premises or grounds.
1. Groups and organizations using the meeting room are responsible for maintaining order. Appropriate conduct is expected as a condition of room use. At least one adult must be present and responsible for any event involving children under the age of 18.
2. The BVPL shall bear no responsibility whatever for personal injury to any member, affiliated person, guest, invitee, or licensee of the using organizations, its members, affiliated persons, guests, invitees, or licensees.
3. The Library is unable to provide childcare services. People attending meetings at the Library must make arrangements for childcare. The Library will not assume responsibility for caring for children left alone in the reading rooms.
Clean Up and Damages
1. Groups and individuals using the meeting room are responsible for basic clean up and returning the room to the same conditions it was in before use.
2. Any equipment or displays brought in for a meeting must be removed at the end of the meeting. No storage is available at the Library. The Library is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
3. Damages to the premises, equipment or furnishings as a result of group use will be charged to the group responsible. The using organization and its members, jointly and severally, assume and shall bear full responsibility for loss of, or injury or damage to, any property of the Buena Vista Public Library, as shall be caused or inflicted by the using organization, its members, affiliated persons, guests, invitees, or licensees.
Non-Compliance with this Policy
Failure to comply with this policy may result in denial of future use of the Library meeting room, financial liability for damages, and/or immediate removal from the meeting room.